Sunday, December 25, 2011

Merry Christmas: A Review

Hey, everybody, I hope you all have a great Christmas and happy holidays in general! That Harry Potter book review took a lot out of me, but I was thrilled to finally do it. Expect some more reviews sooner rather than later. I have Skyrim, Mass Effect 2, and a few movies on my radar before my next semester starts up.

Anyway, I'm reviewing what I think Christmas is all about.

So, here goes nothing: Christmas is somewhat hard to categorize. You could find yourself like Scrooge or the Grinch, or a thousand other characters in Christmas movies. Maybe you get excited like Jack Skellington or maybe you hate it all... well, Christmas isn't a movie. It's a time to spend with your family, friends... or, I guess, yourself if it comes down to it. I can't say what Christmas means objectively, so I'll tell you what it means to me.

A Christmas Carol is a good place to start with what I love about the idea of Christmas. Scrooge finding the true meaning of it has always been a soft spot in my heart. Perhaps that story, with its ghosts, was the first real "horror" story that I absolutely fell in love with. Also: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzoKcdDg5rQ. I'm showing my hand here about what I like, but Retsupurae makes the holidays special with their lighthearted humor in making fun of people playing video games or video games themselves! It's like an MST3K for the internet-goers among us! I recommend it. That video in general has a nice holiday feel to it, and should warm your heart if it's not warm already.

A Christmas Story, which plays on TBS for God knows how long on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is another movie that has defined Christmas for me. I love that little guy's pursuit for his Red Rider BB Gun. God speed, little man. Actually, I like the father's leg lamp best myself, but who doesn't? Am I right? It's sad, but I have a cousin who was literally the spitting image of little Ralphie when he was younger. It was seriously uncanny. So, the movie was always a favorite around this time of year as it continues to be today.

I'm not going to say that I'm in love with Christmas or that you should take away some message to my utter Christmas morning ramblings, but... I think the thing that makes me the happiest is seeing someone's eyes light up as they open that gift they really wanted or never expected. I also like getting stuff too. I can't deny that one.

Anyway, have a Merry Christmas and this was stupid, I know, but I felt like writing something... so here you go.

No comments:

Post a Comment