Monday, October 25, 2010

Book Evaluation: Necronomicon (????)

I tried taking a picture of my copy of this book, but my camera didn't seem to be working for whatever reason. Oh, well... that's not a problem. I can explain this one without a picture, I suppose. I would have tried to find a picture off of the internet for this one too, but in looking up "Necronomicon", I just came up with fake examples of the real thing and... well, I don't want to use a fake book as a stand in for something that is very much real.

Sure, it's real. Why wouldn't it be? Just because somebody tells you something isn't real doesn't make it so. This book is every bit as real as it could be. I'm currently flipping through it as I type, looking for a good bit of it to explain about. This book is harder to "review" than most because it has the nonfiction element, sure, but also because there is no real narrative... it's more just full of stuff... stuff I have trouble talking about in present company, meaning whoever is reading this.

Yeah, I know, you don't believe me. Well, you don't have to. I don't care if you do or not, but the Necronomicon is real whether you believe it or not and you should believe it... because why would I lie to you? That seems like a silly thing to do.









Anyway, I came across my copy a couple of years ago... probably seven or eight. I found it... uh... well, I won't tell you where I found it. Suffice it to say that was there and I... uh... took it away with me. I didn't know precisely what I had taken. There were no words on the front cover. Instead it was bound in leather... but an odd-colored leather that I had never seen before. It has a patchwork quality to it and is a bit disconcerting                                                                          . Opening the book the word Νεκρονομιψον is written in Greek as shown. I was glad that I knew Greek and could readily and easily read it. Underneath the title was عبدالله الحظرد. I had to look that one up. It translates roughly to "Abdul Alhazred".

There is no date that I've ever found in the book anywhere... and I have found nothing on this Abdul Alhazred. I suspect the name is a clever pseudonym rather than an actual name. This is frustrating. I should be able to find more than I've found!

What's even more frustrating is the book itself. None of it is in English. Not even a bit. Parts of it are in Latin and Greek, but I can't seem to find them when I'm ready to translate. I don't know the other languages in it... some of which seem to be nothing more than scratches made in the book itself. Sure, there is some Arabic (I think) and some Hebrew (again, I think), but there are very few other languages I could readily identify. There did seem to be a few of the Oriental languages as well, but I could not tell them from one another. Most of the languages remain a mystery to me though. I thought I knew of most human writing, but some of this stuff looks a litt

                                                  are the diagrams. I                                                  . They are at best                                                                and                                                                                          I know                                      organs all                                                  but then                                        .                                                                                       . I didn't like them at all. They made me very uncomfortable. Something about them made them a little too realistic to me.

I guess a book shouldn't make me nervous like that, but just some of the parts of it seem a bit off. I don't know. Maybe I should get rid of it or something... or maybe I should just not look at it        .

Ah, well... maybe I'll tell you about some of my other older books pretty soon. Like De Vermis Mysteriis by Ludvig Prinn... or the most r cent o es I h v : Caretakers of Underground and The Red Cage Effect by Harold Zimmer. Or the very si  le L. Dreosin by Landon Nielson.

No comments:

Post a Comment